Sitemeter

Saturday, January 8, 2022

Ice, snow and more ice and snow

 We've had quite the couple of days, lots of snow then a coating of freezing rain over everything, causing a 30 plus hour power outage....fortunately temperatures have climbed from the double digit below,, to hovering around the freezing mark so ventured out for a short walk this afternoon.


it was kind of heavy going as the snow underneath the fresh is frozen so in some places it holds you, in others it doesn't.


A Great Blue Heron landed out in front of me and I have to admit it wasn't until I got home and played with the photo that I saw the Wilson's Snipe on the shore behind.  There had been a number of ducks in the area and I just figured it was a duck, probably a Green-wing Teal, so I was really surprised to see it was a snipe instead.


just a winter wonderland out there....


got as far as the first bay


there were some Varied Thrush in the bushes...


also a couple of Bald Eagles were in the Cottonwood by the viewing platform..

as I was walking away, I heard a commotion...


which proved that they were definitely a 'pair'.

Another heron landed as I reached the turn to home...


it was getting dark as it was starting to snow again, so photo not as crisp as it could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment