Sitemeter

Friday, April 27, 2012

Mourning Dove

OK, before I get into today, I have to point out that the little ‘frog’ that was in yesterday’s posting has been identified not as a ‘frog’ but a Toad.  It is a juvenile Western Toad.

rain up the valley

Today wasn’t a bad day but there were lots of big black clouds around that every once and a while decided to ‘drop their load’ – so we didn’t venture over to the park…just to the boat launch that is getting fuller and fuller – saw a couple of those Goldeneye ducks but that was about it.

Robin in the grass 

This American Robin was down in the grass – since I haven’t posted a robin picture for a while, thought I’d toss it in…

White-crowned Sparrow

most of the activity has been closer to home where the White-crowned Sparrows continue in large numbers (10 or 12 at a time – hard to tell as they tend to dive into the cedar hedges)

Gold Crowned Sparrow

The Gold-crowned Sparrows continue as well ….I’m hoping we might see their rarer cousin – at least on this side of the Rockies – the White-throated Sparrow – usually one manages to show up during migration, but not so far.

Dark-eyed Junco

There are Dark-eyed Junco still here as well, although not in the numbers there were.  Some will stay and nest in the area…most likely those are the ones we are seeing now.

Mourning Dove

Most exciting find of the day was this Mourning Dove!  Went to walk out the back and a dove suddenly flew up from the other side of my gate…knew it wasn’t one of the Band-tail Pigeons as they ‘explode’ more than fly…

Mourning Dove

Mourning Dove aren’t all that common here, although it seems they are showing up more regularly the past few years – maybe, with luck one of those Eurasian Collared Doves will show up as well – one was over at Eagle Point last year but I don’t know of one in our complex yet – I know I am still waiting to get my first picture of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment