Sitemeter

Monday, April 23, 2012

Band Tail Pigeons

Finding things to post on this blog is becoming more of a challenge…

April 23, 2012

now that our path to the park is blocked by the steadily rising water.  We will still venture over there on occasion, but it isn’t nearly as easy, or as enjoyable to access now.

Morris Valley Road over there

One wonders just how long we’ll even be able to stand at this point – that is Morris Valley Road over there at the edge of the water…

White-crowned Sparrow

but we will continue to photograph and post what we can – here a White-crowned Sparrow down at our boat launch – that in a day or so will definitely be capable of being a ‘boat launch’ again!

Female Red Wing gathering nesting material

Saw a female Red-wing Blackbird gathering nesting material – they always worry me – they are busy building nests down in the Hardhack bushes…I always worry that the water will rise to the point of flooding their nests – but I guess the birds know what they are doing.  It isn’t like Red-wings are an endangered species or anything!

Band-tail Pigeon

speaking of endangered species….the first Band Tail Pigeons of the season have shown up – had two at the feeders today.  These pigeons are the western cousin of the extinct Passenger Pigeon and came close to meeting the same fate….fortunately their population has bounced back.  They will be with us for the next 4 to 6 weeks before moving up into the mountains for the breeding season.

Pacific Bleeding Heart

a couple of flower pictures – this is Pacific Bleeding Heart – a wild flower native to the pacific coast.  I actually had to buy this plant at a garden center because every time these and other wildflowers try to take hold around here, some one whacks them off with a weed whacker!!!

What is it?

and this has me completely stumped!  Two patches of this flower have appeared in areas of lawn in the complex where I live.  I have never seen this plant/flower before.  I have checked wildflower books and I can’t find it and having been in the nursery trade prior to retiring I am quite familiar with most cultivated garden plants…and I don’t ever recall seeing this plant.  If anyone knows what it is, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment