Sitemeter

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sun, Swans, and Steller’s….

The day started out by hearing a flock of Swans heading north…

see you in the fall

I wasn’t able to capture this mornings flock, but this file picture taken on March 26, 2009 will do….seeing them leave always makes me feel very sad, I’m not sure why since it is a sign that winter is loosing it’s grip and the season’s are progressing as they should…perhaps I am just jealous as I’ve always felt a very strong northward pull myself.

no swallows yet

with the sun shining I sat here for a while hoping some swallows would show up, always, they immediately start checking out the nesting boxes…but so far there was no sign of them.  A dozen or so Green wing Teal were the only birds seen.

Sun Shiny Day

over in this direction….

Goose pair

Just one pair of Canada Geese  (one is laying down in the grass).  Towhee’s, Song Sparrows and Robins had all been very busy and vocal as I walked over, but completely silent on my return…I think I must have missed a hawk flying over…

Steller's Jay 

I’ve mentioned a few times lately how vocal the Steller’s Jay have been and today was no exception….since I managed some decent pictures I thought I’d point out…the above jay is typical of the ones that we see in our area…with the black head but with two blue lines on the forehead…these are the ‘Pacific’ sub species…

Steller's Jay

notice the white ‘eye-brow’ on this bird.  The ‘interior’ sub species have a white eye-brow like this bird, but also another white mark below the eye and also have white forehead markings…so this bird is a cross between the two sub-species…

Steller's Jay

while this one with no white near the eye, but with white forehead markings would be another hybrid.  There is one more sub species…the ‘Queen Charlotte’ who have virtually no markings on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment