Sitemeter

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Baby Juncos

Got out for a walk this afternoon once the rain finally quit…what a miserable few days it has been….hard to believe it will officially be summer in 2 days.Fledgling Junco

First thing I noticed were a number of Dark Eyed Junco…including this fledgling…

Two Fledgling

Two fledgling here and the tail of one of the parents….

path reappearing

got down to the boat launch, the water continues to drop…hard to see here but the path is actually starting to reappear…sitting at about the 2 1/2 foot mark on the marker post right now…

Brown Headed Cowbirds

Spotted this pair of Brown Headed Cowbirds in this pine tree…female nearest…not sure what they were doing…eating something I guess as they don’t build nests…actually as I’m typing this I see a young cowbird has just landed on the feeder….cowbirds lay their eggs in other birds nests, birds like Yellow Rump Warblers are particularly favored for this.  I’ve often wondered how the baby cowbirds knows it is a cowbird – the one at the feeder is feeding along with about a dozen male cowbirds.

Cedar Waxwing

There continues to be a lot of Cedar Waxwing activity, in fact while I was taking this picture, my husband was walking over at the park and saw some fledglings being fed.

Douglas Squirrel

caught this Douglas Squirrel in my neighbors' garden…there have never been so many baby Squirrels as there are this year…we are having 2 and 3 at a time in our small yard…

Male Rufous Hummingbird

and Rufous Hummingbirds!!!  It took awhile but there are so many Rufous Hummingbirds in our complex it is unbelievable!!!  Put this picture in as it at least caught the red gorget on the male.

One last mention…several weeks ago I posted a picture of 2 Common Loon that had been seen as the water rose…I had a report today of 3 of them…they were seen in the Harrison Bay part of the IBA.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment