Sitemeter

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lush!

Today we finally made it back over to the park…..

Creeping water

and the one word that comes to mind is ‘lush’ – my goodness has stuff grown since we were last there!  Hearing birds is easy – seeing them now is a whole ‘nuther matter!

May 30, 2012

the cool weather is certainly slowing the snow melt so water levels are staying pretty stable…

Fledgling House Finch

This is a very poor picture but that is a fledgling House Finch on the left – so therefore note worthy

Red Osier Dogwood flower

the Red-Osier Dogwoods are in flower – and I’m always harping about how important a role this particular native shrub plays…

Yellow Warbler nest?

spotted this, I think, Yellow Warbler nest – at least there were Yellow Warblers in the bush near it…

Tent Catapillars

in another spot, a tent caterpillar nest – I know everyone panics when they see tent caterpillars' but our Bullock’s Orioles love them and from all the calls we have quite the population of Orioles in the area…so they’ll clean them up.

Black-headed Grosbeak after a bath

over by the viewing platform I did manage to spot this male Black-headed Grosbeak, obviously just having had a bath…..

Cedar Waxwing

and then, a Cedar Waxwing – the first one I’d seen or heard this year, anywhere! (of course I know I’ve been gone for a bit so perhaps they’ve been around)

Black Twinberries

the Waxwing had been feasting on these Black Twinberries – a favorite food…

at our end

back at my end….pretty much the same, Yellow Warblers and Bullock’s Orioles, neither co-operative for photos.  Have heard a Swainson’s Thrush but I’m surprised to have neither heard nor seen a Spotted Sandpiper – they are usually all over the place.  Another bird that is significant by their absence are the Red-breasted Sapsuckers – I’ve yet to see one which is rather alarming….perhaps they are around and I’ve just missed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment