Sitemeter

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sunshine ~ and not much else

A beautiful sunny day today…

Sunny day

warm if you could find a sheltered spot out of the wind….

Sunny Day

a little chilly everywhere else, due to a fairly strong outflow wind…no doubt the reason for the lack of birds…a few Mallard, and some Golden Crown Kinglets and Chickadee’s down in the bushes…that was about it.

Hazel Nut Catkins

Thought I’d throw this not very well focused picture of some hazel catkins…just to show that spring is coming…

With nothing else to talk about today, this seems a good time to mention the Great North American Backyard Bird Count which starts in 10 days time.  This is my favorite bird count.  I never feel quite qualified enough to participate in a Christmas Bird Count, but the Backyard Count invites everyone of all ages and abilities to take part.  It starts on Fri. Feb. 18 and goes through to Monday the 21st.  Each day is a new count day.  You can count the birds in your yard, or go to your favorite park…and then enter the data on line.  It is fun to watch as the counts grow.  I’ll be attempting thorough counts of this area for the Fri. and Mon…..I usually try to get to Deroche and Nicomen Island for one of the days…  It actually always amazes me how few people from this area do participate in the count so I always try to do my part.  If you are interested in finding out more…just search ‘Backyard Bird Count’ and you will find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment