Sitemeter

Monday, February 7, 2011

Strange day…

Today was a strange sort of day…the walk started out with me thinking there was going to be absolutely nothing to report….there wasn’t one single duck, couldn’t hear a bird anywhere…

Yellow Rump Warbler

but then when I got to the area by the viewing platform…I could hear Golden Crown Kinglets and Chickadee’s (both kinds – Black Cap and Chestnutback) and something else…the something else turned out to be that Yellow Rump Warbler that I’ve spotted 3 times now, this winter.

Continuing on I was busy staring into the trees looking for, yes, an owl (no I haven’t seen one since my sighting of the Boreal a week ago)…and there, right in front of me, in the middle of the path…is a Ruffed Grouse - of course by the time I spotted it and was fumbling for my camera…it had spotted me and was wandering off into the underbrush….so you get this ‘file photo’

RGTunk'06-3

The above photo of a Ruffed Grouse was taken at Tunkwa Provincial Park in 2006.

Gray day

Continuing on to the log bay, you can see it is another dull gray sort of day  and yes, that is a rain drop on the lens right in the middle of the picture…it was here I finally spotted some ducks…

Mallard and Green Wing Teal

a pair of Mallard and some Green Wing Teal.  I am sure the Bald Eagles have something to do with the lack of ducks…there was a juvenile eagle perched in a tree over looking the bay.  On Saturday we watched a pair of eagles going after a gull…There aren’t that many Eagles in the area now, but the ones that are here are obviously hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment