Sitemeter

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Salmon

Right on schedule, this past weekend, the first of the spawning Chum Salmon arrived.  They show up in the log bay first, then the bay by the viewing platform….

Oct11 008

Oct11 009

where, if you look carefully, this pair were spawning….and eventually they will end up over my way and where ever there is water, along side Morris Valley Road.

Oct11 012 

Bald Eagle activity has increased somewhat, with 120 counted out there today.  There is also much more in the way of Gull activity…

Oct11 004

This fellow was perched on one of the pilings by the log bay.  I am not good at identifying gulls.  I know most of the ones that we will see with be Glaucous wing Gulls….they have light gray wings and no black on them at all….therefore, this is NOT a Glaucous wing, it could possibly be a Herring Gull but without being able to see it’s leg and eye colour, I can’t be positive….

Oct11 002

This Song Sparrow I can identify positively.  These streaky little brown birds will be one of the species seen most frequently over the winter.  There was also a flock of a dozen or so Yellow-rump Warblers…too high up in the larger poplar trees for a picture….it seems late for them to be passing through, but I got a good look at one and that is definitely what they were.

Oct11 001

I’m tossing this in here because when I woke to the sound of chain saws this morning, alarm bells immediately went off.  There is definitely activity of some sort taking place up on the hillside…it isn’t really close to the estuary but any sort of activity in the water shed area that feeds the estuary, will eventually impact the area to a degree.  At this point I have absolutely no idea what is going on up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment