Sitemeter

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

You just never know!

Headed out for our usual walk, thinking what a horrible, cold, dreary day it was....


and for the most part that held true....there were a few eagles around but nothing to make note of...


more ducks though, pretty much just Mallards and some Green Wing Teal...this Great Blue Heron too...


when I took this I thought I was taking a picture of Red-wing Blackbirds, but instead I think they are European Starlings...maybe there was a mix.  There were also Juncos, Towhee and Song Sparrows...


and being kind of cold and wet and dark....Varied Thrushes were in evidence...this picture shows how hard they can be to spot sometimes...  

all in all I'd been thinking what a waste the walk had been when I walked through my gate, and there right in front of me....


was a female Anna's Hummingbird!  The first one I've ever had in my yard - at least as far as I know...  I decided I had better dig out a little hummingbird feeder and quickly made up some nectar....


it took less than a minute for her to find it!  Now I'm just hoping she'll stay around, at least long enough to get counted next week when Project Feeder Watch starts for another season.

No comments:

Post a Comment