Sitemeter

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Another cold wet one….

Another cold, wet day…at 5 degrees we are a couple of degrees warmer than yesterday, but that isn’t saying much!  We should be in the double digits by this time of the year.

Geese in the gloom

There was one Canada Goose pair visible through the rain…

Snow on Woodside

looking across the estuary you can see that the snow is low down on Mt. Woodside…

Male Brewer's

There were several Brewer’s Blackbirds here today – this one being a male…

Female Brewer's Blackbird

and here, a female…

Song Sparrow

a Song Sparrow was also hoping around….along with the inevitable Robins.  No ducks or geese to be seen today.

Trio of Hoodies

although, as I headed for home, I did spot this trio of Hooded Merganser (the male sort of ducked down just as I took the picture).

It was reported to me yesterday that there had been a little owl over in the area just outside of the park fence….I suppose it is possible it could have been that Boreal Owl spotted back on Feb. 1st, but most likely it was a…Northern Pygmy Owl

another look

I wasn’t about to go back out in the horrible weather to find out, so am using this file photo of one. 

I haven’t managed to actually see one for myself this winter but have heard of several sightings and know they are normal winter visitors in our area.

The lovely natural area where yesterday’s sighting was made has been attracting a lot of Dark Eyed Junco and other small birds, which is what the Northern Pygmy Owl feeds on.

I did check out the area today, but of course it wasn’t sitting there waiting for me to show up!  Instead I took a picture of this native shrub….

Indian Plum

This is the flower of the ‘Indian Plum’…the very first of our native shrubs to leaf out and flower.  The fruit’s resemble small plums…hence the name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment