Sitemeter

Friday, January 21, 2011

Yellow-rump Warbler….

Another horrible, wet, gray day.  A Northern Harrier flew past just as we started our walk (no picture)…

Selection of eagles

noticed the ‘eagle’ tree by the viewing platform was quite well populated…spent some futile time trying to get pictures of Golden Crowned Kinglets that were feeding down in the blackberry thicket…and noticed a Fox Sparrow as well…

Kingfisher in the rain

could hear Belted Kingfisher’s and caught sight of this male, way off…and was turning to head towards home when, like before, I caught sight of a small bird flying down into the log bay…

The best one

so, not having taken binoculars due to the wet weather, like before, I aimed my camera in the general direction. From the actions and the call it was making I was pretty sure it was a Yellow-rump Warbler…and I’ve just spent a while going cross eyed peering at down loaded pictures…(it is in the above picture, but even I can’t find it right now…will have to click on to enlarge)

extreme crop

and can confirm with this extremely cropped down picture – that it is indeed a Yellow-rump Warbler….

another rainy day

while I was taking these pictures, it flew up into the bushes at the end of the log bay….

Yellow Rump Warbler

by the time I got back to that side, it had flown down onto the rocks again - (it is in the middle at the bottom)…..I am pretty sure it is the same bird I saw the beginning of the month because I had suspected at the time that the bird was perhaps a ‘Myrtle’ rather than an ‘Audubon’ because it seems to have more white under the ‘chin’.  If it stays around long enough to get it’s breeding colours, hopefully I’ll be able to confirm that.

Eagle at first bay

Heading back through the gloom noticed in this bay, not an out of season warbler…but a Bald Eagle

eating

He seemed to have found enough salmon remnants to make a meal…not sure how nutritious since there is nothing but skin and bones left!

No comments:

Post a Comment