Sitemeter

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Winter solstice

 Today is the winter solstice.....official first day of winter, although it seems we've had winter for weeks now!  Normally I would have been out with my camera recording the day, however, with the temperatures we are having, and after yesterday's experience, I didn't even attempt it.

We did venture out yesterday after the snow stopped....


trudging over to the park was hard work with snow in drifts up to our knees in places.  This was the first bay....


where there were some Killdeer in the open water.


lot's of Varied Thrush....


could see lots of activity as we approached this spot where there are a number of Pacific Crabapple trees that still had fruit.  It was also about this spot I realized I was loosing feeling in my fingers, despite gloves and mittens.


found American Robins....


and then, a Bohemian Waxwing!  This is a species we only see in winter, and not every winter.  They are more common in the interior.


got one more decent shot of it and decided it was time to head home and thaw out my hands!

I'm not sure what will happen now because as of yesterday pretty much all the fruit was stripped off these trees and there is all winter still to come, which is probably why my small yard was overrun today with Varied Thrush -28 and counting.  We are raiding the freezer for frozen berries for them and going through bird seed and suet like crazy!

More snow, then freezing rain and finally rain, in the forecast.  Going to be an interesting winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment