Sitemeter

Friday, February 11, 2022

A couple of rarities

 I guess the rarity for today was sunshine!  Actually there was one rarity noticed today..


one Eurasian Wigeon mixed in with hundreds of American Wigeon and Cackling Geese in the fields....

it was yesterday that had a couple of surprises....


it had been another dull, grey, cloudy day....


in the morning I'd had a couple of cooperative Anna's Hummingbirds....this one a male....

and this youngster.  

but it was in the afternoon when first I heard a call that sounded 'finch like' and finally spotted....


this, way up in a tree.  Had no idea what it was until I downloaded the photo....turns out it is a Common Redpoll!  We do see redpolls in winter sometimes, usually mixed in with Pine Siskin...have no idea why this one was all by itself but a treat to see and actually the first time I've seen one over by Harrison Bay.


could hear a number of very agitated crows a little further along....

and this is why....a Peregrine Falcon! that had obviously just had a very good meal judging from the size of it's crop!


worthy of another look as this is another species I've never seen over at Harrison Bay...and only about the 3rd time I'd seen one in the IBA area.


heading home, the fields continue to be well populated with mixed Canada and Cackling geese.


No comments:

Post a Comment