Sitemeter

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Brrrrr

What a crazy 'not yet winter'!  First the rain....


which, when it finally ended, has brought water levels up to spring flood levels!  Again, most of these photos have been taken by my husband.


here is another one....these were taken on November 28th....a day coincidentally when record high temperatures were being set all over the place.

I did get out for one walk once the rain stopped...


and managed this photo of a Bald Eagle perched in the top of one of the Cedar trees in our complex.

Now, skip forward 24 hours .....


back to the log bay...yes, that is ice...we now are setting low temperature records....


there are wicked outflow winds which is what is driving the spray that is coating everything and then freezing.  They say with the wind chill it is close to minus 20 and I must say that when I ventured out for a short walk, I've braved a lot of outflow winds here, but that was the coldest I've ever experienced.

No doubt, because of the bitter temperatures, our feeders have been very busy...


visitors included this male Purple Finch...first one I've seen for a while.


the Anna's Hummingbirds are lined up at the feeder.....


and a lot of birds, like this female Varied Thrush were taking advantage of the sunshine in a sheltered spot to thaw out and warm up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment