Sitemeter

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Barred Owl….

Excitement today!  Once we finally got for our walk after an encounter with 2 unleashed, unaccompanied dogs…made it to the park, could hear Chickadees calling all over…a little further along some birders were staring into the trees…

Oct. 16'12 001

stopped and asked what they were looking at….and there was…

Oct. 16'12 004

a Barred Owl!  The first positive sighting for one in the park!  Once I saw the owl, the reason for all the Chickadee chatter was obvious…Chickadees warn the other birds when an owl is around.

Oct. 16'12 009

a bit further along….there was the first Varied Thrush of the season!  I’ve mentioned I’ve thought I’d heard them recently…well now we know for sure!

Oct. 16'12 012

nearing the log bay…..spotted this male Belted Kingfisher…it is a male because it lacks the chestnut coloured belt….

Oct. 16'12 014

I guess that was enough excitement for the day, just as well – it was very quiet out on the flats…I know at least two fisher persons had been out there so that could be the reason for the lack of birds…(sorry about the crooked picture, I downloaded another photo editing program and now everything is fouled up…I know I straightened this picture, but must have been in the other program – computers!!!!)

Oct. 16'12 016

one last picture….those white dots are just some of the many gulls flying around out there….

No comments:

Post a Comment