Sitemeter

Friday, February 17, 2012

First Backyard Bird Count Day

Well the weather for the first day of the four day Backyard Bird Count was much better than had been predicted! 

Nice day at the log bay

I was expecting to get very wet, but as it turns out it was quite nice, although clouding over now as the afternoon draws to a close.

I haven’t submitted my count yet because I’m hoping that another species or two might show up before the end of the day.  Haven’t seen a Purple Finch or a Varied Thrush yet…

So far have seen 22 species….I’ll list them at the end…

Canada Goose pair

Went for several walks, the walk ‘with the dog’ produced the most, at least in the way of picture opportunities – like this pair of Canada Geese that hadn’t been there earlier…

Great Blue Heron

and this Great Blue Heron…the first one I’ve seen here in weeks!

Heron

I really wish it had been there on my earlier ‘dog less’ walk as there is a Photo contest as well and I could have concentrated on getting some great shots…if I hadn’t had to hang on to a dog and shoot pictures one handed – as it was I got some good enough to send in.House Finch

Quite a few House Finch….here a pair…

Windblown

This wind-blown juvenile Bald Eagle was the only eagle in sight!

Species seen so far today: Steller’s Jay, Red-wing Blackbirds (lots), Dark-eyed Junco – quite a few; Spotted Towhee; Song Sparrow, Fox Sparrow; Pine Sisken; House Finch; Raven; Black Capped Chickadee; Chestnut-backed Chickadee; Starlings; Robins!!! – 2; Northern Flicker – 2; Golden-crowned Kinglets; Mallards; Green-wing Teal; Bufflehead; Gadwall; Canada Geese; Northern Harrier; Bald Eagle; Great Blue Heron; and Glaucous-wing Gull.

No comments:

Post a Comment