Sitemeter

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Bed side birding

It is sort of ironic, last year I was asked to write an article for a RV magazine on how birding is a hobby anyone can do, even those with physical limitations, so as I currently find myself with some mystery condition that makes it virtually impossible to sit or walk, I am now having to 'bird' from my bed.  And wouldn't you know that right now all kinds of things are happening out there!  

This morning started with the unmistakable calls of the Trumpeter Swans headed north, and soon I could see the long skein of them from my bedroom window.  The interesting thing is, I checked my blog photos for last year and it was the exact same date that they left last year too.

Yesterday I was laying here and almost jumped out of my skin when a tap-tap-tap sounded right outside my window....


the photo is courtesy of my husband who went out and tracked the source down, this Red-breasted Sapsucker really liked the sound that the little plastic window made.  There was another answering from  near by tree.  Could hear Flickers all over too, my husband counted 17 of them on his morning walk.

Also seen on his walk this morning...


this, which was one of 3 Ring-bill Gulls....  the not so good news of things seen was this...


apparently some flying lessons were being undertaken as it practiced stalling and landing and taking off about 5 times.

Back to the birds though....


yesterday the first White-crowned Sparrow showed up, photo again courtesy of my husband.

We are pretty sure the Band-tail Pigeons are back as well, either that or a bunch of Doves have moved in, there is lot's of 'cooing' coming from the trees but haven't actually caught sight of them yet.  The Rufous Hummingbirds are sure back in abundance!  My husband hung one of our feeders outside the bedroom window and they obviously approve of the spot as I have more coming than I've ever had....


No comments:

Post a Comment