Sitemeter

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Band-tail Pigeons!

It would appear I was a bit premature in lamenting the lack of......


Band-tail Pigeons!  They are now here!  This was the scene at my place this afternoon and there are still some out there...


Here is a bit clearer photo of one of them.  Unfortunately the area was in shade and I didn't dare move from where I was as these birds are so 'spooky' they take off at the slightest disturbance.

This evening there have been a number of Evening Grosbeaks showing up as well, no pictures of them yet, but it would appear that rather than the hot weather speeding everyone up, it appears to have held them back so they are just a bit later than what we consider 'normal'.


While I was taking the pigeon pictures, this Steller's Jay was enjoying the sunshine, soaking up some rays - I know it looks like it is in distress, but it isn't, they just seem to like to do this sometimes.


the male Rufous Hummingbird was 'en garde' in his usual spot.  I'm pretty sure there is a hummingbird nesting in this willow...one of these days I'm going to see if I can spot it.

I've heard there is a female Rough-grouse in our complex with 5 young....haven't seen her as she is hanging out in the non-beautified vacant lot.

Also seen today for the first time in a while were a pair of Chestnut-backed Chickadees, so there are still a few of them around as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment