Sitemeter

Monday, October 21, 2013

Thicker fog today

Yesterday's fog returned over night and lingered longer today.


but by the time we set out just after lunch, the last of it was dissipating.


We (my dog and I) made it over to the log bay...Spotted Towhees, Robins, Steller's Jays and more of those annoying little Pacific Wrens were all along the trail.  Those black specks in this picture are Northwestern Crows.  I mentioned yesterday about the numbers of them we had seen on Nicomen Island yesterday, well today there was a constant stream of crows at the estuary.  Crows of course are always found here at this time of the year, but it isn't often we see them quite like this.  


nearer at hand there were a number of ducks, all Mallards from what I could see, various gulls and in the middle of it all...the spawning salmon.


also one of those Greater Yellow-legs Sandpipers.

The whole time we'd been walking Bald Eagles flew over, most heading from the gravel bars to various trees at the estuary edge and on the hillside.


here are a couple of adults in the eagle tree by the viewing platform....


and another one further down...


then a juvenile flew in...unfortunately, even though the bird was obliging, the sun wasn't in the best place for getting a crisp photo.

As we headed towards home I had been thinking that I hadn't noticed any Killdeer, despite hearing some earlier in the morning...  About then my dog did one of her, 'I'm going to sit here and watch routines'....I was madly trying to figure out what she had spotted - she usually does this when she wants to watch geese or ducks or salmon....


and then I spotted them....a couple of Killdeer right in front of us!  (only one in this photo).  Once I'd convinced her (the dog) it was OK to move on we headed towards home where the trees and bushes along our boat launch were absolutely alive with...


Black-capped Chickadees.

No comments:

Post a Comment