Sitemeter

Monday, March 11, 2013

Last sunny day?

This will be a much shorter blog than I had originally planned for today.  The reason being that the day was much nicer than expected and since the forecast for the rest of the week is wet, wet and more wet, I couldn't bring myself to stay inside and edit pictures that I took over the weekend and a visit to the Blue Heron Preserve on Sunday.


So first I'll just show this photo taken at the log bay.  The only ducks around were a pair of Mallard but there was a Killdeer on the gravel bar opposite.  Red-wing Blackbirds, a few Starling, some Robins and Junco along with some House Finch pretty much rounded out the species in this location.


The above is one of those pitiful 'proof it was there' photos - a Tree Swallow perched on one of the pilings.  I saw a total of 3 today and imagine there were more.

Song Sparrows, Towhee and more Juncos along the trail with all sorts of little birds bouncing around in the tree tops.


and way up in one of the 'eagle trees' there is a Hairy Woodpecker.  Even higher up in the same tree, Purple Finch were singing while nearby Steller's Jay were mobbing something.  I looked and looked but couldn't see what even though some of them were actually even down on the ground.  I did find a pile of feathers from what looked like a mallard on the ground in the same area.


and I just wanted to post this, noticed on the weekend that the Salmon berries are in flower already!  

No comments:

Post a Comment