Sitemeter

Monday, June 17, 2013

Baby Nuthatches!

This weekend the baby Red-breasted Nuthatches that I have been expecting showed up!


I'm not sure how many of them there are, at least 3, maybe more....


this is one of the harried parents.  The youngsters tend to stay up in the trees making it very difficult to get pictures....


this little guy managed to find something on his own, either that or he was falling off the branch!  With baby birds one is never sure!


The Black-cap Chickadee family or families continue to show up periodically.


the sunshine showed up on the weekend too, although we've had some natural fireworks as well as thunder storms roll around the province.  Those water levels are again holding steady.


on Saturday this interesting phenomena was in the sky.  I understand that from Agassiz the whole sky from one side of the valley to the other, looked like this.  Not sure what it was - ice crystals maybe?


I'm tossing this photo of a Turkey Vulture in today's report.  I took it yesterday at a debris trap on the Fraser River just south of Hope.  We have Turkey Vultures here at the estuary although I haven't seen as many as usual this year.


back home, Red-wing Blackbirds have been a bit more visible again, in fact the males, like this guy are acting rather territorial again.  I don't know if that means they are contemplating a second hatch this year or not.  Some species hatch two or even three clutches again, I'm not sure if Red-wings do.


and just because I've never had baby Red-breasted Nuthatch in my yard before, in fact if you follow this blog you know that until this past year even seeing an adult was an occasion.... I'm closing with one more baby nuthatch picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment