Sitemeter

Friday, October 8, 2010

Eagle tree activity

Weather wise, today is a much nicer day than had been forecast. 

Oct8 003

Activity today was much the same as yesterday….Great Blue Heron, Mallard (shown here), American Wigeon etc.

Oct8 005

There weren’t nearly as many Eagles out there today though.  I couldn’t do a count as my binoculars are already packed in my camper in anticipation of our annual ‘end of the season’ trip to one of our favorite spots ‘Tunkwa Lake Provincial Park’….Tunkwa isn’t an IBA but it should be…the birdlife we have seen there is incredible!  In fact my fondest wish would be to spend from about April 1st to say, October 31st there, documenting what passes through, what nests there etc.etc. ~ but I digress! 

Oct8 008

Today, what was noticeable were the number of Bald Eagles perched in one of the ‘eagle trees’ ~ this one, located beside the viewing platform.  Just after I took this picture…12 eagles suddenly bolted out of the tree…I knew I hadn’t caused the sudden exodus, but wondered what had…turns out there were a couple of people walking on the path on the other side of the tree ~ which leads to another topic ~ learning to ‘walk softly’, I know it is difficult on a gravel path, especially one that is covered with crunchy dry leaves but everyone should aim to walk in such a way that not one bird is disturbed by our passing.  I know from experience that early in the season Bald Eagles and later the Trumpeter Swans are ‘spookier’ and that they do actually seem to come to recognize people that don’t pose a threat from those that might.  I pride myself on being one of those who, even though I always have a predatory style dog with me, does not pose a threat.

Oct8 012

Proof being that I and my leashed Siberian Husky, who has been taught from day one that birds and animals are to be ‘looked at’ nothing more - were able to stand below this fellow today to get this shot….and the bird was still sitting there long after we’d moved on.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone….

No comments:

Post a Comment