Sitemeter

Saturday, March 30, 2019

An interesting gull

A walk over to the park this morning resulted in an interesting sighting.  There were actually 2 gulls....and I don't know what they are....


I know what they aren't.....they aren't our normal Glaucous-wing, or little Mew Gulls, or Ring bill Gulls which we do occasionally see this time of year as they are migrating...


the head doesn't look right for a Herring Gull, and also the eye appears dark and not yellow...


My best guess, after consulting my Sibley's Bird Book was Thayer's Gull but when I went to report them as such, I find that there is no such bird anymore on E Bird....there is an Icelandic Thayers.....so I don't know.  Will reach out to some experts and try and figure it out.  Perhaps it is a cross of some sort....

description - pink legs, small head, greenish bill with black at the tip, dark gray plumage with extensive smudging on the head, neck and breast.

If I find out....I'll let you know.  Also, saw the first Rufous Hummingbird over at the park....have had one at my feeders, but this was the first over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment