Sitemeter

Friday, November 5, 2010

A very gray day

Definitely not one of your more inspiring days!

Gray day

at least it was still dry when we set out.

Eagles in the eagle trees

The ‘eagle’ trees were well populated with a total of 13 Bald Eagles

Heron on a post

and the piling at the first bay sported this Great Blue Heron on top..

Heron up close

Here is a closer look at the heron

couple of juveniles

and a closer look at a couple of juvenile Bald Eagles that were amongst those in the eagle trees…..

almost as soon as I took these pictures…a number of the eagles suddenly took off ~ I wondered, because they had been perfectly happy with me standing there, but then I saw another couple approaching the area, carefully, armed with a camera….so I decided to not go any further and headed back past them so they could get some pictures.  Seconds later the Heron who had happily posed, took off screeching and I turned around and not a single Eagle was left in those trees.  This was a perfect illustration to what I firmly believe, that these birds learn to recognize the ‘regular’ invaders of their habitat, but react with alarm to anyone new.

And speaking of ‘screeching’ or at least ‘screaming’ ~ last night we heard what at first sounded almost, but not quite, like a woman screaming…it happened close to a dozen times….I have since looked it up on line and it had to have been that cougar that has been spotted, now 3 times, in the immediate area.

No comments:

Post a Comment