Sitemeter

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ten days to Eagle Festival….

With only 10 days to go to the annual Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival….figured it was time to start a ‘count down’…

Snow up the valley

It was lucky I had my camera with me on our morning walk, because with the glorious sunshine today ~ there were more humans than birds ~ well if you exclude the gulls…

Heron and Hoodies

Once again, Heron’s and Hoodies were the order of the day….

Heron in morning sunshine

a couple of Great Blue Heron were seen mid day – but further out…

Hoodies in the morning

the Hooded Merganser, along with the usual American Wigeon, Mallard and Green Wing Teal….were there…until someone decided to walk along the foreshore rather than staying back on the trail.

Snow and sunshine

Bald Eagle were in short supply both walks….there were a few, but with Eagle Festival so close, the lack of numbers is getting a bit alarming.

What were seen today were a total of 4 Varied Thrush – with the snow up on the mountains now, they are moving down to our lower elevation.

V. Thrush 16

I couldn’t manage a picture of one of today’s birds…but this picture was taken in the area a few years ago…just to show what a Varied Thrush looks like.  I like to describe them as a robin in Halloween colours….in fact I remember my late mother calling them ‘Oregon Robins’ – I don’t know if that was an alternate name at one time or just something she made up!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathy, am enjoying your blog here in Ontario, and am sorry that I'm not able to go to the FVBEF this year. I timed my B.C. visit a year ago around it and your photos of late are making me jealous that I'll be missing it this year :-(

    ReplyDelete