Sitemeter

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nasty day!

This morning, for the first time in years, I and my dog both decided it was just too nasty to even attempt our morning walk!  Pouring rain, and with a temperature hovering between 2 and 3, occasionally that rain turned into snow.

Eagle on piling

It was only marginally better when we attempted our afternoon one…apart from 3 Hooded Merganser, 1 Common Merganser and 4 Gadwall….there was just nothing!  As I neared the log bay I noticed this Bald Eagle eating something on top of a piling….

Nasty day

When I got to the bay…where you will note the water level has dropped a bit despite the rainfall….I noticed a bunch of ‘white’ on the lowest log…

White feathers

Feathers!  my immediate thought that some of the area coyotes must have killed something over night and I had hoped it wasn’t a swan….but then I put two and two together and took a closer look at what the eagle was eating…

eating duck

as I watched some more white feathers drifted down….so then I wondered if it had killed a gull….but after down loading these pictures and zooming way in…I think I can make out the head of a male mallard on the log with the feathers….this would explain why there was not a Mallard in sight anywhere!

Eating duck

One final look at ‘lunch’.

I should note that there appeared to be very few Eagles out on the flats but I had rec’d a phone call earlier telling me that there were hundreds and hundreds of eagles in the trees beside highway 7 and the Harrison Bridge….so that must have been where they were all hanging out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment